Squarespace Pricing: Which Plan Should You Get?
When it comes to website builders, Squarespace just might be the most popular platform out there today. Squarespace offers high quality, professional templates that make it fast and easy to build just about any type of website imaginable — all with no coding experience required. But is Squarespace pricing worth it?
Squarespace offers four premium blog and ecommerce website solutions to beginner, intermediate, and advanced users.
The differences between these Squarespace plans can be a little difficult to discern at first glance.
What features do they offer?
How much are they each month?
How many page views can you get with each one?
The aim of this blog is to review the different Squarespace pricing plans and help you make an informed decision on which one will best meet your business needs.
Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
Overview Of Squarespace Pricing
Squarespace has 4 pricing plans: personal, business, basic commerce, and advanced commerce.
All Squarespace plans include fully responsive templates that automatically adjust to display beautifully across mobile devices like tablets and smartphones, and are optimized for search engines.
There are however differences in each plan:
Squarespace Personal. This plan is $14 per month paid annually or $19 per month paid monthly. This is a good choice for entrepreneurs who need a simple, but fully-functional (and beautifully designed), website for their businesses without e-commerce functionality.
Business Plan. The Squarespace Business plan costs $23 per month paid yearly, or $33 for monthly payments. It is a great option for anyone who’s just getting started with ecommerce. It gives you unlimited bandwidth and storage space, the ability to sell unlimited products (and accept payment via PayPal), accept donations and issue gift cards, a free custom domain name for 1 year, unlimited contributors, 24/7 customer support, and basic ecommerce features.
Basic commerce. This plan includes everything the business plan offers + extended e-commerce functionality. This includes Instagram selling, customer accounts, secure checkout on your domain, merchandising tools, Powerful E-Commerce analytics. This plan also has 0% transaction fees for Squarespace payments, and also includes professional email from Google Workspace (formerly G-Suite), and marketing tools like google ads, popups and promotional banners, Facebook and Instagram selling and gift cards. You won’t however get abandoned cart recovery, on this plan. This plan costs $27 per month if paid annually or $36 monthly.
Advanced commerce. This plan is best for serious sellers who want to further customize their store. It includes everything in Commerce Basic + advanced shipping features, advanced discounts, abandoned cart recovery, among others. It costs $49 per month when paid annually or $65 monthly.
If you’re just starting out with your website I would recommend starting with the Personal Plan and upgrade as your store grows!
An In-depth Look At Each Squarespace Plan
The personal plan is a great starting point for your website. With unlimited bandwidth and storage, you can upload and host an unlimited amount of content on your site. And with the included Squarespace Domain Privacy, your contact info will stay hidden from prying eyes. You’ll also get access to a suite of features that make it easy for you to personalize your website, like built-in templates, a custom domain, and more.
You can also create up to two users per website, who can login and edit content.
This plan also comes with other features such as:
- 30-minutes video storage
- 24/7 customer support
- Free custom domain name with annual plan
- Secure, reliable hosting by Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services
- Free SSL certificate included
- Squarespace extensions
- Basic metrics
- Built-In SEO Tools
You can upgrade your personal account to a business plan at any time if you need more features or
The Business plan is the second-highest tier of Squarespace’s paid plans. The plan is best for:
- Those looking to run a business with a robust brand identity, including those in ecommerce or service-based industries
- Business owners needing to manage multiple contributors, with up to two levels of user permissions
- Marketers and project managers who need more advanced marketing analytics and integrations than the Personal or Basic Commerce plans offer
The Business plan offers all the features of the personal plan plus unlimited contributors, website customization and a professional email.
However, if you want more advanced ecommerce features, you’ll have to explore the basic commerce and advanced commerce plans. Features such as point of sale, abandoned cart recovery, selling on Instagram and checkout on your own domain are missing on the business plan. You also can’t sell subscriptions or give discounts on this plan.
The $18/month Squarespace Basic Commerce plan is a solid option for ecommerce businesses looking to get started but want a little more than the business plan offers.
With this plan, you can sell unlimited products, and you’ll get access to all of the same store design options as other Squarespace plans.
There are however a few things that the Basic Commerce plan does not include:
- Abandoned cart recovery
- In-depth shipping and fulfillment integrations
- Customer accounts to make it easier for your customers to make repeat purchases
- High-traffic features, like the ability to run multiple promotions at once
The Advanced Commerce plan is a premium option for sellers who need the most powerful commerce functionality available on Squarespace. This plan includes everything you get with the basic commerce plan, plus advanced features like:
- Abandoned cart recovery
- The ability to customize your checkout page with custom CSS or a fully customized page template
- The ability to create multiple subscription plans per product or service
- The ability to sell gift cards and offer discounts on shipping or products
- $ 0 ecommerce transaction fees
- Multiple contributor roles (employees)
- Third-party fulfillment integration
- Built-in subscriptions engine
- Flexible discount code engine
- Sell in a single currency or multiple currencies
- Access to iOS and Android Squarespace Commerce App for managing your store on the go
- Product recommendations and product upsells to increase your sales
- Real-time carrier shipping rates (US only), including the ability to set custom shipping rates by location, cost, weight, or item count
- Partial tax calculations
How To Cancel Your Squarespace Subscription
The first step is to enter your user account and go to setting, then billing and account. Select Billing.
Once in the billing section, you will see an option button at the bottom of the screen that says “Cancel.” Select this button to begin the cancellation process.
You will then be prompted with a screen asking why you are canceling your account. This step is optional, but it’s nice to let Squarespace know if there is something they could improve upon so they can better serve their customers in the future.
After selecting “Next,” you will be greeted with one final screen asking if you’d like professional help migrating off of Squarespace. This is also optional and just serves as an attempt from Squarespace to keep their customers around by offering additional help during this process.
And that’s it! You’ve successfully canceled your account at Squarespace!
Does Squarespace Have A Free Trial?
Squarespace offers a 2-week free trial of their service. During this period, you can use all of the Squarespace tools to create your website. The trial does not require credit card information.
The free trial lasts 14 days and provides full access to Squarespace — all of the features, templates, and integrations are available.
Creating a trial site also gives you access to the Squarespace customer support team. They’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, via chat or email.
Likes and Drawbacks Of Squarespace
- Squarespace is reliable. Squarespace has a 99% uptime guarantee. You don’t need to worry about server uptime because they take care of everything for you.
- Great customer support. They have live chat, email, phone support and even a community forum where you can get answers to your questions. They also have a lot of helpful tutorials and how-to guides that make it easy to use their platform without having to be an expert in web design or coding.
- Ease of use. If you can operate a computer, you can figure out how to use Squarespace. Just about everything you need to do on Squarespace is done via its simple drag-and-drop interface.
- Beautiful designs. For an amateur web designer like me, Squarespace offers the perfect combination of ease of use and beautiful designs.
- Responsive design. All Squarespace templates scale perfectly on mobile devices and tablets as well as desktop computers (which is important since Google now penalizes sites that aren’t mobile friendly).
- Built-in SEO tools. There’s no need to install third-party SEO plugins when using Squarespace
- You get a wide range of services on the platform. You can create mobile sites, launch stores, manage ecommerce, and more.
- Ecommerce capability. They offer over 100 templates that are optimized for any type of business
- It’s costly to scale: If you want to build a medium-sized ecommerce store or a business website, you’ll have to spend at least $30/month for just the basic features. Any extra features you need will cost you more.
- Limitations in integrations: Integrations are limited with Squarespace, which means that you may not be able to add all the plugins and apps that your website requires. This can negatively affect your business performance as certain plugins help improve conversion rates (such as live chat and email marketing).
- Limited video storage space: If you’re planning on using Squarespace to sell digital or physical products, then you will be limited by the amount of storage space available in your plan
- No Free Plan: There is no free option with Squarespace, which means that unless you want a 14-day trial or are happy to pay up front, you won’t be able to use it as your website builder. As Squarespace is a premium service, this shouldn’t come as a surprise but it’s still worth mentioning.
To conclude, here’s a recap of how Squarespace pricing works:
- Squarespace Personal. This is a starter-level plan with no ecommerce functionality. It is $14 per month paid annually or $19 per month paid monthly.
- Business Plan. This is a great plan if you want to add checkout to your website but don’t need heavy ecommerce features. This plan costs $23 per month paid yearly, or $33 for monthly payments.
- Basic commerce. This plan extends the commerce features available in the business plan. It costs $27 per month if paid annually or $36 monthly.
- Advanced commerce. This plan comes with every feature necessary to support “heavy” ecommerce selling. It costs $49 per month when paid annually or $65 monthly.